Saturday, July 12, 2014

DIY Chalkboard & A Monogram Tutorial

Hello and Happy Weekend Peeps, I am really busy working on our Dining Room this weekend, 
so I am sharing a little project I actually did a few month back but never shared before. 
I've always wanted to have a Family Name Monogram on a Chalkboard for our Staircase wall,
so I did some research on Pinterest and found this awesome tutorial from 
Lilacs and Longhorns



 First step,  I had to make another chalkboard.
Luckily I had an old frame in the garage with a hideous print. 

I took out the print (in the garbage it went) 
and simply painted the glass with chalk paint. 
Once it dried I got busy with the chalk-board art
Julie from Lilacs and Longhorns  shared a super easy transfer
method that I had to try myself.


Step #1
 On my Computer, I choose a font I liked and printed out the letter "V" and also our 
Family Name, established, etc.....  Make sure to make the letter and everything 
else you want to print big enough for the size of your chalkboard.

Step #2
  You will need a round plate, or platter to trace a circle for the wreath. I placed my platter 
upside down on the board where I wanted the wreath. Then, I outlined it about 80% 
of the way around — using my chalk ink pen — leaving a little gap at the top so it’s 
not a full-circle wreath.


Step #3
I added some leaves to the circle (free hand).  Draw the shape of an orange wedge or 
apple slice — they do not have to be perfect and they don’t all have to look the same!
Also, they will probably look wrong to you as you’re going along.  
Hang in there, it will look good when you’re all done. Plus, it’s chalk and totally erasable!

Step #4
When you’re done with the leaves (by the way, you don’t need to fully embellish them at this point) 
get your print-out of your monogram and rub chalk on the BACK of the paper 
directly behind the monogram.

Step #5
Turn the paper over so the chalk side is on the board. Carefully center it and then trace 
the letter with a pencil. You don’t have to fill it in, just trace an outline. 
Press firmly so the chalk on the  back of the paper transfers on to the chalkboard.

Step #6
Remove the paper and you’ll see a faint outline of your image.  

Use a chalk pen or regular chalk to trace over the image and then fill in as desired.


I did the same procedure for our Family Name and EST 1993




Step #7
Finish filling in your wreath leaves. I found that I liked using the chalk ink 
pen best for the outlines and the real chalk for shading and filling in.

Tadahhhhhh...here it is...I added some huge letters I found at Hobby Lobby on top of the frame
 I hung the chalk board on our staircase wall. 
I am planning on creating a fun gallery wall there, 
so there is still lots of work to be done here! 

As always, thanks a million for taking the time to visit me!!!! 
xoxoxox
 photo signature_zps2231f866.png
Follow on Bloglovin


29 comments:

  1. Wow! Love it and love the way you have it hanging. The little corner there is perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did we do without chalkboard paint?! Love how your project turned out and your display! Blessings, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so pretty! I like the frame you chose, great job creating this special wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! I never would've thought about painting over the glass. I like it hanging in your stairwell with your initials above it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea ! Love that you made a laurel wreath ( I put them on furniture ) !!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love where the spot you chose for it! Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! It turned out great :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think the picture is/was hideous. Not what you wanted in your decor ..... your project is beautiful!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great Christine! Danke fürs Glück wünschen;)
    Was hast du denn gestrichen?
    Mein Wohnzimmer ist als nächstes dran, nach meinem Flur, Küche, Schlafzimmer.
    Und wenn ich das Wohnzimmer fertig habe ist mein Badezimmer dran, und dann gehts bestimmt wieder von vorne los, lol
    Liebe Grüße
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's that saying....oh ya-you had me at chalkboard!!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Great tutorial too, Christine! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like this took so much time and effort, but great tips on making it simple!!! Love this.
    Visiting from the link it or lump it party!
    Rebecca @ Hello Creative Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your chalkboard and the graphic! Need to put something pretty on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just make a lot of Drab to fab things Christine! LOVE this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this!!! Featuring you tomorrow! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for yet another awesome idea! I haven't used chalkboard paint ~ can you believe it?!?! I'm dying to though... Your monogram came out great.. I can't wait to see the gallery! Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday! I can't wait to see what you have for us next week! Julia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hallo Christine,
    das ist eine tolle Idee. Ich liebe solche Kreidetafeln. In der Küche habe ich an meinem Regal eine Holzwand, welche ich auch damit streichen möchte.

    Ich wünsche dir ein wunderschönes Wochenende,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this looks great! I love that transfer method too, I'm going to have to try that!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks awesome!! Thanks for sharing with us at Your Designs This Time!

    Erin & Emily

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love how this turned out, gorgeous! Thank you for linking up at Friday Favorites!

    Emily, Our house now a home

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this! Thanks for the great tutorial, too. I've pinned it and will refer back to it later this week when I begin making something similar for a wedding gift. :-)
    Blessings!
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK...There are so many ideas here that I would have never thought of! So, so simple, but looks AMAZING!

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is absolutely stunning - awesome tutorial! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute- love it! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links last Friday! I loved this post so much that I chose it to be featured for this weeks party. :) Go grab a button you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it Christine! Pinning. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great tutorial and AWESOME chalkboard art!!! I love the wreath design. Thanks for sharing on What You Wish Wednesday. Please come back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this! Great tutorial!! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features today at the Round-Up from the Before and After Wednesday part at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/07/the-round-up-from-before-and-after_30.html Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  28. Please let me join everyone else in saying your chalkboard and design tutorial is fantastic!!!! I think it is amazing and such a cool piece for your home. Because it is so fabulous, we decided to feature it on Share It Sunday link party this week. Thanks for sharing.
    Michele @ Our Rosey Life

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, it makes my day!